Many Foods

Many Foods

Friday, November 4, 2011

Sweet and Heat Chili

As part of our adventures in the kitchen, it seems only proper that every man (and woman for that matter) should have their own signature chili.  I have tasted numerous different people's chili recipes, and they truly are unique to the individual.  So I started my quest to design my own chili. It's still a work in progress but last night saw a lot of success.  The chili is fairly traditional containing mostly meat with some veggies and beans.

I mixed some Worcestershire and Chipotle Tabasco into the meat before browning and then during I left it with some decent sized pieces.  I know there is a lot of debate on whether or not to use beans in chili, but I like beans, so I used kidney beans.  For the veggies, I sauteed them in a separate pan first and then added it to the browned meat.  I used onions and green peppers left in slightly larger strips (just a little smaller than you would have for fajitas) and a couple Serrano peppers.  To bring it all together, some crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste to thicken it up a little.  Like in most of my savory cooking, I had to add a good helping of GARLIC!!!!!   It was seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, a little cayenne, and lots of chili powder. To finish it off I also added about 1/4 c. of Splenda.  If you're not into substituting, you can always go with the real stuff instead of Splenda.


The above result looked great and tasted amazing.  It was a great balance between sweet and heat and the meat came out very savory.  I would be content to have this be my signature chili but before I do, there are a couple of flavors I would like to test out.  A little nutmeg?  Bitter cocoa even?  Only time, and lot more cooking will tell.

-L&A

2 comments:

  1. Repost from E.W. from Facebook:

    "Was going to leave this on the blog, but didn't want to sign up for an acct: That looks incredibly tasty. Still living in the Midwest, my ratio of beans:meat is much higher. I hadn't ever considered adding sweetener to my chili; I may give that a whirl next time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, this looks delicious.

    I add jalapeno peppers in mine (with the seeds) and some green chiles because I like it HOT.

    I will be happy to be your official taster next weekend. I prefer savory foods over sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete